Pageviews last month

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Roastery Spotlight - Onyx Coffee Lab

Today's roaster spotlight is a local to me coffee shop.  I have known these guys for several years.  We actually started in coffee around the same time and with the same company.  I really like where these guys are taking their coffee and their vision for the local coffee culture.  If you are in, or visit, Northwest Arkansas, you should definitely put Onyx on your list of shops to visit. 

I asked Jon, the owner, a few questions about Onyx and what they are doing.  Here is what he had to say.

FPC: Tell me a little about yourself.
Jon: My name is Jon Allen.  I am the Owner/Roaster/Green Buyer for Onyx Coffee Lab.  I've been working in coffee since high school as a barista for Arsagas, but it wasn't until i started roasting that I really committed to coffee and began studying it extensively.

FPC: How long have you been in the coffee industry?
Jon: 11yrs

FPC: How long have you been in your current position?
Jon: 1 year for Onyx, 2 years for Anonymous Coffee Roasters (their wholesale roastery), and 4.5 years as owners of two Arsaga's.

FPC: What do you like most about the coffee industry?
Jon: I like all the aspects of the production line.  I really enjoy meeting the farmers and producers.  I love working with coffee geeks on the roasting and profiling.  Finally, the barista's who serve and are the voice of the final product.  Each point has it's responsibility to a good cup and I really appreciate all the hands that are involved.

FPC: Why do you do what you do?
Jon: I love people and I love coffee.  This business allows me to work directly with both in a personal manner. 
 
FPC: What is your mission?
Jon: Mainly we are trying to create the perfect cup through artistic and scientific endeavors. 

FPC: When roasting the Colombian Valle de Cauca, why did you choose this specific roast level?
Jon: We chose this particular coffee especially for the cherry notes. Cherry is not very common in a lot of coffees and we wanted to accentuate that aspect.  We tried it at a medium roast and it just lost all the cherry flavor.  

FPC: So what is your favorite brewing method for this coffee?
Jon: Kalita Wave brewer.  I have been liking the flat bottom pour over lately.

Origin: Colombia
Region: Valle de Cauca
Farm: fina de Herrera
Altitude: 1600m
Varietal: Caturra & Typica
Certifications: Organic & Rainforest Alliance
Process: Washed
Cup: cherry, lemon zest, milk chocolate, mouth watering acidity

You can order this coffee at www.onyxcoffeelab.com
Follow them on facebook at www.facebook.com/onyxcoffeelab
@onyxcoffeelab on twitter
#onyxcoffeelab on instagram

Now go get you some of this great coffee and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment